Events and Concerts
From symphony concerts to music fests, from community theater productions to the ballet, Jackson is known for the many art forms and celebrations of the arts. As a Jacksonian explained it, “Not only is there a great deal of art to be enjoyed in Jackson, you can often be a participant in the creation of the art, the theatre productions, the music....”
The Jackson Arts Council's mission is to connect and strengthen the arts. The Jackson Arts Council promotes excellence in and access to the creation and experience of the arts.
Serving as cultural partners with many organizations in the city, the Jackson Arts Council sponsors art exhibits, the performances of nationally known artists, and arts projects that serve our community.
A variety of cultural/arts festivals are held in Jackson, including the African Street Festival, Archeofest, KidsFest, Old-Time Musical Festival, Rockabilly Fest and Shannon Street MusicFest.
The Arts Coalition of Jackson Arts Council is made up of over 40 groups which produce, present, and/or support the arts. Some of the many arts groups in Jackson include:
- Ballet Arts, producing the beloved “The Nutcracker” and other performances and educational projects year round.
- Jackson Art Association, home to the community’s visual artists, and producing a Spring Exhibit in City Hall annually.
- The Jackson Symphony, performing concerts throughout the year, including special programs for children. The symphony kicks off every season with a free, open-air concert – the Starlight Symphony - followed with a line-up of pops and classical productions and a Legends Concert.
- Jackson Theatre Guild, utilizing talented community actors, directors and technicians to bring theatrical productions to sold-out crowds at The Ned.
- Griot Collective of West Tennessee, whose members tell their stories of the African-American experience through poetry and song. Nationally known poets and authors are included in the lecture series.
- Jackson Area Plectral Society, which preserves the music of the West Tennessee settler and has popular free performances year-round.
For the complete list of Festivals and members of the Arts Coalition of the Jackson Arts Council, go to www.jacksonartscouncil.tn.org.