UofM-Lambuth Hosts Art & Garden Spring Series
Jason Reeves, Curator of UT Gardens Jackson
The Art & Garden Spring Series brings professional gardeners and local artists together for a series of talks and workshops. These events are free to attend and open to the public. They will take place on select Tuesdays at the Lambuth campus. Gardening talks will be held in the Hamilton Room at the Wilder Student Union from 12:00-1:00 p.m., and workshops will be held in the Blue Gray Café at the Wilder Student Union from 11:00 a.m-3:00 p.m.
Professional gardeners will share their knowledge and expertise in a variety of topics designed for gardeners at every level. Workshop attendees will learn how to combine their love for art and gardening through botanical watercolor, leaf casting and more. Jason Reeves, with the help of Lambuth students, will be creating a pollinator garden on campus throughout the series.
A floral-themed art exhibit entitled, “The Risk It Took to Blossom,” will be held in the Lobby of the Varnell Jones building from March 2 to April 27, with an art reception on Thursday, April 2 from 4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Florists will create original arrangements inspired by the artwork for the reception.
Upcoming presentations and workshops include:
- Feb. 25 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: When to do What presented by Celeste Scott
- March 3 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: Attracting Wildlife presented by Bill Wyatt
- March 10 from 11:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.: Basic Botanical Painting in Watercolor workshop by Lendon Noe
- March 17 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: The Birds & the Bees: It’s Time for “The Talk” presented by Carol Reese
- March 24 from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: Bird House Sculptures workshop by Karen Holder
- March 31 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: Garden Heroes: Pollinator and Host Edition presented by Jason Reeves
- April 7 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: Nuisance Animals Making You See Red? presented by Jake Mallard
- April 14 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: Natural Disease, Pest Control presented by Celeste Scott
- April 21 from 11:00 a.m-1:00 p.m.: Creating Beautiful Porch Pot Arrangements workshop by Jason Reeves
- April 28 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: Organic Gardening from the Ground Up presented by Mary Menarella
- May 5 from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: Leaf Casting workshop by Master Gardeners
- May 12 from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.: An Art & Garden Book Club hosted by Lisa Reilly (Will meet at the Lambuth Library)
Art & Garden is sponsored by the Art Museum of the University of Memphis, in partnership with the University of Tennessee, hosted by the Lambuth Campus, and supported by the UofM Student Activity Fund. The Lambuth campus is located at 705 Lambuth Blvd. in Jackson, Tenn. For more information visit ArtandGardenatLambuth.com.
If you would like more information, email Lyndsay Best or call 731-240-1153.